Velocity Staff is working with our client located in Downtown Kansas City, to find for an 18- month contract opportunity, a Fiber/Transport Telecommunications & Network Services Engineer.
This lead position designs, configures, and maintains telecommunications systems , fiber optic and all transport networks. This includes the purchase and installation of telecom hardware and software, assuring the operational effectiveness and efficiency of telecommunications services.
Duties and Responsibilities:
• Leads the design and configuration of client intelligent multiplexing systems (including TDM, MPLS based, and optical-based networks), assuring that project requirements are met – 20%.
• Generates and recommends ideas for improving telecommunications systems to ensure maximum performance, including upgrades, patches and new applications and/or equipment – 20%.
• Provides technical support and guidance (Level 3) in troubleshooting system performance issues. Researches problems that cannot be resolved by routine procedures. Creates troubleshooting procedures, designing resolution scripts, workflows or flowcharts. Ensures timely resolution of problems – 30%.
• Provides leadership for the Telecommunications team, including – 30%:
o Identifies innovative approaches to accomplish departmental
goals, while maintaining alignment and compliance with
business goals, corporate IT standards, strategy and Service
o Approves and modifies system design and architecture to
ensure compliance with organization and IT standards and
policies. Ensures timely resolution to system problems.
o Develops plans for maintaining telecommunication systems,
applications, security and network configurations.
o Coaches telecommunications and IT technical staff who have
less experience and expertise in telecommunications
applications and hardware.
o Assumes formal lead in supervisor’s absence.
• Translates business/customer requirements into telecommunications systems or process designs.
• Coordinates system technology and configuration activities to ensure integration and alignment with other IT technology, systems, applications, and environment.
• Collaborates across divisions to identify and implement telecom solutions.
• Monitors telecommunications performance for effectiveness, performance, traffic, growth requirements, and security.
• Ensures that documentation complies with organization and IT standards and policies.